Thursday, September 5, 2013

Evening Primrose Oil to Prepare for Labor

(via)
(Disclaimer: I am NOT a doctor or in any way medically trained. Please consult your doctor before you try ANY method of inducing or helping labor!)
When I was pregnant with Lila and hit my due date, my midwife suggested I try Evening Primrose Oil to help my cervix soften and prepare for labor. I had never heard of Evening Primrose Oil, but trusted my midwife, so immediately after my appointment I went right to the store to find some. (I also did a little research of my own. A few informational sites here and here.) Evening Primrose Oil doesn't induce labor, but it does help to soften and ripen the cervix, which will help with dilation.

I followed my midwife's prescribed regimen, which is as follows:
Day 1: 3000 mg (6, 500-mg capsules taken at 6 different times during the day)
Day 2: 2500 mg (5, 500-mg capsules taken at 5 different times during the day)
Day 3: 2000 mg (4, 500-mg capsules taken at 4 different times during the day)
Day 4-baby comes: 1500 mg (3, 500-mg capsules taken at 3 different times during the day)

(Note: I started the capsules on a Friday night and went into labor Sunday night! I think the EPO capsules definitely helped with dilation)

I found my EPO caplets at Smith's (the Kroger store in my area); EPO capsules can also be found at health food stores and perhaps other grocery stores, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, Comments, Ideas--anything is welcome!